Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default automatic hyphenation

Make sure that the correct language is applied to text. Look at the status
bar to see the text applied at the insertion point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
I am using Word 2002 in XP.

Every time I open a certain very large Word document I received from
someone else who revised some of its content and formatting, my Word pops
up with an error message saying it cannot hyphenate this document and do I
want to install that function. I am not sure if this is because:

a) the person who created the document had hyphenation installed on his
version of Word
b) or it is a setting on my own Word.

Because this document is for publication, what I really want is for my
Word to open the document _exactly_ as the author created it. I am not
sure if that means I should install hyphenation on my Word or change some
setting so Word does not repaginate the long document when it opens it on
my PC. How do I go about that?

(The person who sent the document to me does not know if he has
hyphenation installed or not).

A related problem on this very long document. To ensure exact placement of
numerous images on its pages extensive use of frames in which the images
were placed was used. With the many text revisions that this document has
undertaken the document now exhibits a nasty habit of changing and
rechanging some of the pages when the Index is created. I assume this is
because of its different repaginations it undergoes when Word opens it but
do not know if that is because of the hyphenation error it gives me or
because the many frames are confusing it. If it is the frames how do I
find out which frames are the problem ones? This is a 500 page document.

Thank you.

Jeff