Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffH JeffH is offline

Default Formatting problems - headers

I did as you suggested and it added a blank page prior to the heading. Thus
I got an empty page in the middle of my document. Note that I did not insert
a page break before the heading. There was just a paragraph return and then
the heading.

This was suggested in a prior reply.

Here is Suzzane's recommendation:

I assume you're referring to a heading rather than a header. This is a known
problem when you insert a manual page break; the page break inherits the
formatting of the following paragraph. You can get around this by deleting
the manual page break and formatting the heading as "Page break before." Do
this on the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph.

The small square indicates that "Page break before," "Keep with next," "Keep
lines together," or "Suppress line numbering" has been enabled for that
paragraph. All Headings 1-4 are by default formatted as "Keep with next."
__________

I am assuming you are suggesting the same.
"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
If I do a page break (ctrl enter) following the 1st paragraph (I want to put
a new heading just following the 1st paragraph and start it on a new page)
then I press enter before the new heading the format does not go back to the
subsequent page. However, I now have a extra line just preceding the heading
on the new page.

If I delete the new paragraph just before the heading the heading loses all
its formatting. It just shows as normal text.

If you want a particular heading level to always start on a new page,
modify the heading style with the Page Break Before option turned on.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers