Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
sea sea is offline

Default Strange - Header Takes over entire page (body)

On Jan 27, 12:37*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
What you describe is the table handle. If you move the table with that
(sometimes if you just barely touch it), then it results in the table being
"wrapped" (floating). Double-click on the table handle to open the Table
Properties dialog (or, if this is Word 2007 or 2010, right-click in the
table and choose Table Properties). On the Table tab, set the text wrapping
to None, and you should find that the table behaves much better.

FWIW, I find it vital to display nonprinting characters (paragraph marks,
object anchors, and the like) and also text boundaries (which make it a lot
clearer whether you're in the header/footer or the document body). Without
these, I would find it much harder to troubleshoot a situation like this.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"sea" wrote in message

On Jan 26, 4:21 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Where are you pasting the table in from? If it was anchored to the header
in
the source, it might be anchored to the header in the target, though I
doubt
that would be the case unless you had the header open for editing. Is it
really part of the header (editable only if you open the header pane) or
just floating in the header area?

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"sea" wrote in message

Hi -
I've seen posts on this, but no answer - they all end with "send me a
snippet" but the result isn't posted.

I have a document we're using for invoices. In the header, we have a
field that will have the type of invoice.
The body is a large table, to keep everything neat.

When I put the table in, it mysteriously becomes part of the header.

I've tried a new document, tried without anything in the actual
header, yet as soon as I paste the table in, and view Header/Footer ,
the table is in the header.

HELP!! This is SO very frustrating!
Thanks -
sara- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Suzanne. *This is interesting.
I can edit the table OUTside of the header - so maybe it is just
floating in the header area (though I don't really know what that
means). *When I start (like if I copy and try to make a new document)
the header starts small, but once I copy the table in, it grows. *I
didn't create this doc *- *I am editing it.

I don't know what "anchor" means. *But I do see a little "+" that,
though challenging, I can grab and move the entire table.

Does this help unravel the mystery?

thanks -
Sara- Hide quoted text -

Hi Suzanne -

That was it! Text wrapping - who knew! And I always keep my
paragraph marks and my table gridlines showing (which confuses sone
others, but I love it!)

Many many thanks - All is "normal" now.
Sara