Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_47_] Henk57[_47_] is offline

Default Section breaks and repagination

A corrupted document can be mind-boggling, indeed. Not sure if I can
help you, but here is what you could try.
Open a new document and insert the section breaks according to your
needs. Copy the text from the section from yr original document, but
-importantly - copy it WITHOUT the final paragraph mark in the section.
(Make sure you show the non-printable characters ON). In the last
paragraph mark Word stores characteristics of the section "under
water". Repeat this for every section. Chances are you left yr
document corruption behind then.... HTH, GL, Henk
Rick Fears;2234572 Wrote:
Henk57 wrote in news:Henk57.cf1d47
@officefrustration.com:
-

Dear Rick:
I am not sure if I understand you properly. -

snip

Henk57

thanks for the reply - getting the correct page numbers (1-1, 1-2...
2-1, 2-2, etc) and other issues are not the problem. The problem is
that
as soon as I insert a section break (to achieve the page numbering,
changing for portrait to landscape, etc) the document essential
becomes
corrupt - when I move the cursor through the document Word tells me it
is "repaginating" the document - for every cursor down movement. I
believe this is a known corrupt document problem and I have tried all
the recommendations from the Microsoft support site (i.e. recreate the
Normal template, cut and paste into a new document, etc). Another
issue
I have found with the document which I didn't mention in my original
post (fix one problem first...), is that the headers and footers
"flash"
from one position to another. I have a small table in each header and
footer with bits of text in that are generated from StyleRef, and I
thought I would use the Section Breaks to change the headers and
footers
for landscape and portrait views - the end effect is that the cell
widths in these tables changes every few seconds so the headers/footers

appear to "flash".

I really enjoy finding quirks in Word - but not when I'm on a
deadline...

Thanks again for the reply, and if you can help it would be most
appreciated

Rick.

--
Henk57