Posted to microsoft.public.word.numbering,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mat mat is offline

Default Adding new numbers/bullets in the middle of an existing sequence?

In article ,
says...
You apply the style to which the appropriate level of numbering is applied.
If you're trying to operate without numbered styles (by applying number to
and removing it from Normal), then don't. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for best
practices, which still apply in Word 2007 even though the way you have to
approach the numbering is a little different.

OK, thanks for that input, I'll check out that site and see what I can
get from it. I know it's a complex topic, I've never really understood
it to any degree.