Yes, I'm not sure why they left out the Help article except as part of the
trend of trimming Help to the supposedly most "helpful" topics.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
I noticed. But the help topic is gone in Word 2003, right? So that means

it
was a mistake to leave it out?

I know this topic of limits has come up before but didn't remember the
existence of the KB article.

Daiya

On 8/31/05 9:42 AM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The article I cited applies to Word 2000, 2002, and 2003.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
On 8/31/05 6:41 AM, "Rick Charnes" wrote:

Hi, is there a maximum number of bookmarks allowed in a Word 2003
document? Looks like I'm going to need up to 1500...

Earlier versions of Word had a "limits for Word" topic in the Help,

which
put the max bookmarks at 16,379. I'm not sure it's known whether Word

2003
doesn't have this information because it doesn't apply, or because it

simply
got left out by mistake.

However, in case it does apply, you should realize that Word uses

hidden
bookmarks to track every entry in a TOC or Index, and those count

against
the max.

The only person I know of who ran into this limit was doing a genealogy

in
Word, and I *think* had all the names in his family tree in both the

TOC
and
the Index, *and* using an older version, had ran into the problem where

Word
doesn't always delete the bookmarks from a previous TOC, so there were

all
these useless bookmarks hanging around.

So I think you should be fine.