You can insert the cross-references using Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference. You need to check the "Calculate on exit" box in the Form
Field Options for the form field. When the document is protected, the
cross-references will update automatically when the Decedent field is filled
in.

"Carol" wrote in message
I have a legal document that I am using to teach myself how to create user
forms with dialog boxes to fill in the variables to populate the document.
One of the variables is the word Decedent. This particular variable show

up
in multiple places in the document. For the first instance I add a

bookmark
and for all subsequent instances I click on Insert | Field and select ref

and
click on the bookmark that I want it to reference. I guess the part that

I'm
seemingly fouling up is this: Once I have done that in the template do I

use
Alt+F9 to update each time I create a reference or do I do that after I

have
completed the entire document? I am having several problems, but I would

like
to resolve this one first and then move on to the next step. I do

appreciate
all of your help. Thanks again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you insert the braces using Ctrl+F9?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Carol" wrote in message
Hello Jay,

Yes, I did toggle the field codes and all it shows is the field code.

When
use Alt +F9, it shows nothing else. I'm sure it's something very

simple
that
I'm just not getting. Thanks for your help.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

If you mean that you're seeing something like

{ REF bookmarkname }

in the document, press Alt+F9 to toggle from field codes to field
results (or go to Tools Options View and uncheck "Field codes"
which does the same thing).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:49:02 -0800, "Carol"
wrote:

Thanks for your help, but I guess I'm being obtuse. I have inserted

fields
and selected Ref and selected the bookmark I want it to refer to

but
I'm
still only getting the field showing. Is there perhaps another way

of
updating this template? Thanks again.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:03:02 -0800, "Carol"
wrote:

I have a legal document that I am creating a user form for such

that, when
the template is opened, a dialog box appears and the user can

fill
in the
variables and then the document is populated with that

information.
I am
using Bookmarks in this regard, however, one of the bookmarks

appears in
numerous places within the document and when I add the bookmark

the second
place it disappears from the first place, etc. My question is

how
do I
resolve this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in
advance.

You can use any bookmark name only once per document, as you

found
out. In all the otoher places, insert REF fields (Insert Field,
select REF from the list) that refer to the bookmark. The fields

will
repeat the contents of the bookmark. You'll need to update the

fields
after filling in the bookmark -- most easily by going to Print

Preview
and back.

--
Regards,