Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sela Sela is offline

Default Word 2007 making changes to a data source

Following on from previous post:

It seems that the editing facilities available after clicking 'Edit
Recipients' during a merge) vary depending on *how* the data source was
created and I'd be really grateful if someone could confirm this:

-Data source is an Excel spreadsheet - New Entry & Find available; Delete
Entry and Customise Columns greyed out.
-Word table: none of these buttons are available - all I get is a little
'Data Form' to enter & locate records
-Office Address list - New Entry, Find, Delete Entry, Customise Columns -
all available.

So does this mean that if I want to add and delete FIELDS from the data
source I cannot rely on 'Customise Columns' being available, and may have no
option but to open the original file in Excel or Word? Are the benefits to
creating new data sources as a Word table in the first place, rather than
during the merge - is this more flexible?

Thanks