Peter Jamieson

In my experience, the only way to be sure about this kind of thing is to
test the specific configurations you are proposing to use.

For example, in this particular case, one factor is the method Word uses to
connect to its (Access) data source. If the application requires that the
DDE connection method is used (DDE is the default in Word 97/2000 and may be
needed for other reasons even with Word/Office XP), then Access must be
present on the machine doing the merge. Otherwise, it should not be
necessary - it should be enough to have the appropriate bits of the data
access kit (MDAC) and Jet installed - but I would still want to verify that
on a real system

Peter Jamieson

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,
I am in the process of upgrading a client's office by ordering new PC's.
Most users only need MS Word with a few needing MS Office XP Pro. I would
like to save them some $$$ by ordering only what they need. They use a MS
Access developed application that uses MS Word for the custom documents.
The
data for the custom documents is pulled from the MS Access application
database using mail merge. Can I use MS Word 2002 on some PC's and MS
Office
XP Pro on other PC's and still be able to share the custom documents of
this
application or will using MS Office XP Pro save the document in a format
that
MS Word 2002 will not be able to use?

Thanks for any help.
Dave