Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Can Word Automatically Number My Chapters

You could use a SEQ field, such as { SEQ Chapter }. Just be aware that SEQ
fields (unlike auto numbering) don't update automatically; you have to force
an update with F9 or by printing or switching to Print Preview.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I have a long document with several chapters. Each chapter is
numbered. When I rearrange chapters, I have to manually correct the
numbers. I'd prefer to have Word automatically number the chapters.
Can it do that?

I've tried using the Format / Bullets and Numbering option. That
doesn't work very well. For instance, all my chapter titles are
formatted in style Heading 1, which includes underlining. When I apply
bullets and numbering to the chapter titles, however, the underline
part of the style doesn't get applied to the chapter numbers. Also, to
get the chapter titles to look the way I want, I have to customize the
Bullets and Numbering option, and it seems to be too full of
inappropriate preset "features", like tabs and indents, that I just
can't get it to look right.

Instead of using Bullets and Numbering, is there a simpler way to do
numbering? For instance, can I insert a code (a field, perhaps?) that
says "Put the next number in the sequence here"?

-TC