Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default How use mail merge with envelopes?

The AddressBlock does not always contain all of the fields that users think
it should.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Thanks, I think I understand now. Using the Address Block with a hidden
frame was the cause of my problem. One question: What is the problem
with Address Block that nobody hardly ever uses it (other than the problem
I've run into)?

It helps if you turn on the display of paragraph marks using the ¶ button
on the toolbar. You will then see a paragraph mark where the address is
intended to go.

That paragraph within the frame is left aligned at the left indent of the
paragraph. So, if you insert the individual merge fields directly at
that location, unless you change the alignment of the paragraph, the
first mergefield on each line of the mergefields that you insert will be
left aligned.

Note that I have not made any reference to the "Address Block" in the
above statements as that is irrelevant.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
So I'm supposed to put the Merge Fields inside the Address Block myself?
If true, that isn't obvious using the Merge Wizard. Will the Merge
Fields be aligned with the left side of the Address Block?
Thanks........

The intention of the frame in the EnvelopeAddress style is that all of
the address, inlcuding the zip code be inserted inside the frame.

The AddressBlock that you mention using seems to cause no end of
problems, so most of us recommend that instead of using it, the user
just insert the merge fields that they want to use in the configuration
that they want them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
You hit the nail on the head. I could have used a "template", but I
want to learn how to do this myself...that's why I didn't take
Graham's advice. Where it says "Arrange Envelope", I placed the
Address Block - and just below it, I placed the Postal Code (tied to
the Zip Code). That's what moved the frame down to the next page. OK,
that being said, how should I have done it at that point so that the
address would have gone into the frame and the Postal Code just below
it? If I can learn this, I don't think I'll have any more problems.
Thanks...........

Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in message
It is correct that the Envelope Address style does include a Frame
into which it is intended that the address be inserted and that the
frame is offset from the left and top of the letter so that the
address will appear in the usual position on the envelope.

If you did not insert the merge fields into that frame, but rather
placed them elsewhere on the envelope and forced them into the
position of the frame, then it is quite likely that you displaced the
frame causing it to be located off the edge of the envelope and that
is what was causing the problem.

If you had taken the advice that Graham Mayor first gave you, you
would have almost certainly avoided this problem.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
OK, the reason I was getting a blank page was because each envelope
had a (hidden) frame or text box where the recipients name and
address was supposed to go (I think). Is this true? If so, the
name and address began in the MIDDLE of the text box, not at the
left hand side. I don't think this makes sense. Could somebody
explain this to me please? Thanks...

We can't tell you what you are doing wrong unless you tell us
exactly and completely every detail of how you went about it.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"-Nisko-" wrote in message
Several times a year I address envelopes with a database I've
created. However, I've never figured out how to use the mail merge
correctly. I always end up with one envelope (on the monitor) with
an address - then one blank, then one with the second address,
then one blank, etc. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong -
the tell me how to do it right so that I can put about 10
envelopes in my printer at a time instead of one by one. The way
it works for me is: I have to place the cursor on an envelope (on
the monitor) with an address - then print the 'selected page.'
Then, I have to skip the blank envelope and go to the next one
(with an address) and print the same way again. Can someone help?