Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default labels thrown "out of whack" when cell or table margins changed? How to fix ... ?

Can you spell this out a bit? I read and re-read, but wasn't sure what
exactly you are seeing. Is the extra row at the very end of the output, and
what exactly does it contain (a duplicate of the last row of labels?)

In WP, I vaguely remember that the last field on the page needed an extra
code (next record, or end record, or somesuch). Is this the same for
Word?

In Word 2000, the main thing to get right is "no { NEXT } field in the first
label cell on the sheet, one { NEXT } field at the beginning of each label
cell after that", bearing in mind that some cells in some layouts - such as
5167 - have "spacer" columns of cells that should not have anything in them.

Peter Jamieson

"StargateFanFromWork" wrote in message
Okay, however non-intuitive this solution would be, it is doing the job,
thank goodness. I'm still having one problem. I'm getting an extra row
at the bottom of the merged end document. The original target document
has the correct spacing at the bottom, but the merged doct. puts in an
extra row. In WP, I vaguely remember that the last field on the page
needed an extra code (next record, or end record, or somesuch). Is this
the same for Word? Pls advise. D

Leave labels alone and achieve the space that you are after by changing
the formatting of paragraphs - Left and Right Indent, Space Before and
Space After.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"StargateFanFromWork" wrote in message
I absolutely must have cell margins that are at about 0.05" around the
insides of Avery-sized labels #5167. Before changing the margins, the
pages of labels are aligned and positioned correctly. The instant I
change them to 0.05", the rows all become misaligned and a standard sheet
has a row pushed off to the next page. About halfway throught the first
page, the labels contents are printing half off the labels.

The text before and after the merge in no way is too much for each cell
and I made sure that the "automatically resize to fit contents" option
is not selected in the table options of the table properties so I'm at a
loss to figure out what is going on. The labels are not always printing
correctly from sheet to sheet as, I'm sure most with experience have
found, different batches of labels come out slight differently placed.
I've not done much mail merge or label work as was the case back in my
old word-processing days, but at the time I had working templates with
table margins that worked for any label batches that came along.
Through trial and error one eventually finds the margins that work to
the maximums of label production offset and 0.05" is about the minimum
to accommodate these offsets. Certainly, 0.08" (tEventually a margin is
found that accommodates all slight variations between label stocks. But
if I can't change the margins and retain the integrity of labels, then
I'm stuck. Does anyone know what to do in this situation? I don't know
what else to look at. 0.05" is not even my preference for label
margins. In WP days, I'd use the standard WP size of 0.05" and I used to
use 5167 even back then.

Stuck and hoping someone here knows a good solution to this. Thanks!