Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
redpencilgirl

Default Track Changes Privacy Suggestion -- Make Date/Time Stamp Optional!

Without giving actual examples, it's hard to give you an idea of what I mean
here, so let's say that the author of a manuscript I'm editing creates a
character named Frank. He's Frank from page 1 to page 72, but on page 73, he
suddenly becomes Fred. Only I'm sort of distracted by the author's annoying
habit of putting three exclamation points at the end of every sentence, so I
don't notice that he's Fred until page 175. So now I go back to page 73
(having searched for "Fred" and discovered that that was where the name first
appeared).

Anyone looking at my changes will be able to see that I made the Fred/Frank
change three days (or however long it has been) after the other changes --
deleting of exclamation points, suggestions about ambiguous language, grammar
corrections -- made on the same page. And while my imperfect eye is
something I should be aware of (because being aware of it will make me a
better editor), it is NOT something I need to show my clients...or that,
really, they have any need to know.

Does that make it any clearer why this is so important to me?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

FWIW, your clients don't have to know when you have changed your mind: just
reject the change. Or accept it, turn Track Changes off and change it back,
then turn Track Changes on again.

"redpencilgirl" wrote in message
In Word 2002 for Windows XP (and apparently in other newer versions of

Word
as well), rolling the mouse over a Track Changes balloon turns up the name

of
the person who made the change or comment, along with the date and time

the
change or comment was made. Currently I can choose the privacy option
"Remove personal information from file properties on save" and have my

name
replaced with the anonymous term "author" -- however, I cannot opt to

remove
the date and time. I believe that information about date and time is
personal, too, and I feel strongly that I should have the option to take

it
out.

Here is the situation: I am a freelance editor, and my clients would like
me to make my changes using the Track Changes option instead of the
old-fashioned way (on paper with a red pencil). I don't mind helping them
out that way -- I'm all for going electronic whenever possible -- but I DO
mind that the electronic document will suddenly provide them with

information
that was never available to them in the paper version: for example, that

often work late into the night, or that I often change my mind about a
correction I have made and go back later to revise it. As long as I make

my
deadlines, my clients do not need to know when I made my changes and

comments
-- they only need to know that the changes and comments have been made.

Please help...thanks!

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.