Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Default Populating a Label/Text Box with Random Number

You code generates random strings happily enough; but it doesn't do anything
with them. If you want these random values to appear in your document, you
need to put them there. Currently they just sit in your VBA code.

Is there any particular reason you want to use labels and textboxes for
this? -- much easier to insert the values into bookmarks or document
properties.

"Tony" wrote in message
I have put a txt box and a label in a word doc. I am trying to populate it
with code that I have written to generate a random number and I am not
having
any luck.

Is there a property that I am not aware of for labels and txt boxes in
word.

For all I know it could be my Option Explicit code at the top. Here is my
code:
It starts in the Word Project:

Option Explicit

Public Function GenPrimaryValue() As String
Dim strStart As String
Dim strDate As String
Dim strEnd As String
Dim CrntDate As Date
Dim intChar As Integer
Dim upperbound As Long
Dim lowerbound As Long
Dim X As Long
Randomize

CrntDate = Now
upperbound = 65
lowerbound = 89
intChar = CInt((upperbound - lowerbound + 1) * Rnd + lowerbound)

strStart = Chr(intChar)

strDate = DatePart("YYYY", CrntDate)
strDate = strDate & Format(DatePart("m", CrntDate), "00")
strDate = strDate & Format(DatePart("d", CrntDate), "00")

strEnd = ""

For X = 1 To 5
upperbound = 0
lowerbound = 4
intChar = CInt((upperbound - lowerbound + 1) * Rnd + lowerbound)
Select Case intChar
Case 1
upperbound = 65
lowerbound = 89
intChar = CInt((upperbound - lowerbound + 1) * Rnd + lowerbound)
Case Else
upperbound = 51
lowerbound = 48
intChar = CInt((upperbound - lowerbound + 1) * Rnd + lowerbound)
End Select
strEnd = strEnd & Chr(intChar)
Next X

GenPrimaryValue = strStart & strDate & strEnd
PRONUM = GenPrimaryValue

End Function

Private Sub Document_Open()

Call GenPrimaryValue

End Sub

Can someone someone please tell me what the hang up is?