Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Email Merge in Word

Also, when I set up my query, I selected the criteria for the email
address
field "is not null", and there are still some blank records with no

emails.

Different software packages can treat "null", "a string set to ''", and
"a string containing white space differently, and may also treat
variable-length and fixed-length data differently in this respect.

As far as Access is concerned, in some cases if you enter "white space",
Access leaves the field value as "null". However, if you set a text
value to '' in code, it isn't regarded as null but will otherwise look
no different to the user in many cases.

So generally speaking, you have to test a string for both null and
blank. to detect that in the SQL in Access you need something like

WHERE mystring is not null AND mystring ''

If the string could contain one or more spaces, you would probably need
to add another condition, e.g.

WHERE mystring is not null AND mystring '' AND trim(mystring) ''

but if mystring could contain other types of "whitespace" such as tabs,
non-breaking spaces, I think you would need to ask an Access person. You
might be able to use LIKE with a pattern to do it.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Susan May wrote:
Doug, I want to take a list of emails I have in a query and individually send
them out so it looks like I'm sending them individually, but I'm actually
sending them using a Word email merge because what I'm sending them are
articles that we publish about the economy and these are potential recruits
that have contacted us for more information but have not joined our firm yet.
I don't want to copy and paste in bcc field in Outlook because that would
make me look like a blaster and I don't want our server to be black listed.
We have the rights to these emails so I was told by doing an email merge in
Word, I can set it up so it would go out to each one individually and not
alert the internet providers.

Also, when I set up my query, I selected the criteria for the email address
field "is not null", and there are still some blank records with no emails.
Why is that happening? There are not many, but is there a better syntax to
use to get rid of the records that do not have email addresses?

Many thanks.

PS Lately, when I've been notified of a response from my questions, the
link does not take me to the page where the question is. It is blank - do
you know why this is happening?

Susan

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsof" wrote:

Do you mean rather than their email address?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Susan May" wrote in message
I have a list of email address in an 2007 Access query. I would like to
individually email merge articles I have written in MS Word and send them
thru MS Outlook individually so they are professional sent with their
first
and last name on to To: field.

How can this be done successfully?

Many thanks for your help