Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Format table colums cells to show $XX,XXX format

Well, the field has to be doing something. Since it appears you don't know
what a field is, it is unfortunate that the most basic Help topic Word
offers is "Insert a field," which assumes you already know what one is and
why you want it. But that would be a place to start. In the Field dialog you
can scan the available fields to see if there is one that would work for
you, but aside from formula (=) fields, there aren't many that would be used
for money amounts in tables. And no, you can Copy/Paste fields, but they are
content, not formatting, so the Format Painter wouldn't work.

"Confused report writer"
wrote in message ...
Ok, you say I can't do it except for "fields". How do I do it with
fields?
Can I use the paint brush to copy the fields when I add a row?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You're perhaps confusing Word with Excel. There is no way to do this in
Word
except with fields (and the appropriate switches), and fields are not
replicated when you add a row.

"Confused report writer" Confused report

wrote in message
I am going crazy! I could have sworn I used to be able to do this but
now
can't figure it out!

I want two columns in my Word table to be formatted so that all numbers
show
as whole dollars (with , for thousands). I want this format to hold in
these
columns, even if I add a row to the table.