Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Unable to modify shortcut keys

Just to clarify. Are you trying to use the shortcut keys while you have the
Symbol dialog open? If so, that's not necessary, as you can insert the
symbol directly by double-clicking or by selecting and clicking Insert. If
you're saying that clicking the "Shortcut Key..." button opens the dialog
but doesn't allow you to change the keyboard shortcut, what kind of shortcut
are you trying to enter in the "Press new shortcut key" box?

As for the Alt codes, as Terry points out, these have to be entered from the
numeric keypad, not the number row on the main keyboard.

http://word.mvps.org

"tomincnj" wrote in message
I'm running Microsoft Word 2002 with XP...when I open a new or old
document
and then click "Insert", "Symbol" the "Symbol" character map menu opens.
If
I then click any font/subset the symbol is displayed along with its
shortcut
key. If I then click the shortcut key for any symbol....the shortcut menu
opens but it doesn't display the shortcut key nor am I able to change the
shortcut key.

I've tried running repair but it didn't fix the shortcut key problem.
Also,
unable to insert and any symbol using so called displayed shortcut
key....ie
"Bullet" symbol is displayed as ALT + 0149 but it doesn't work.

What do you suggest doing at this point?

Tks,

Tom