WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: table of contents shows wrong page number for sections

Hi there! I'd be happy to help you with this issue. It sounds like you have a section in your document that you have restarted the page numbering for, and the table of contents is not reflecting the correct page numbers for that section. Here's how you can fix it:
  1. First, make sure that you have inserted section breaks in your document where you want to restart the page numbering. To do this, go to the Page Layout tab, click on Breaks, and select "Next Page" under Section Breaks.
  2. Next, go to the section where you have restarted the page numbering. Double-click in the footer of that section to open the footer area.
  3. In the footer, click on the "Page Number" button in the Header & Footer Tools tab. Select "Format Page Numbers" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the Page Number Format dialog box, select "Start at" and enter "1" in the box. Click OK to close the dialog box.
  5. Now, go back to your table of contents. Right-click on the table of contents and select "Update Field" from the drop-down menu.
  6. In the Update Table of Contents dialog box, select "Update page numbers only" and click OK.

Your table of contents should now reflect the correct page numbers for the section where you restarted the page numbering. If you have multiple sections with different page numbering, you may need to repeat these steps for each section.