Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Graham Wideman [Visio MVP] Graham Wideman [Visio MVP] is offline

Default Heading 1/2/3 TOC entries -- what's the secret to removing?

Jezebel:

Thanks for the reply. FWIW

Unfortunately the style arguments to the TOC field are not retained
between updates. (Bug or design fault, depending on your point of view.)
work-arounds --

1. Reformat the imported matter to use non-TOC styles. (good solution)

Not easily done automatically, given that we have no control over the source
of these docs, unfortunately.

2. Define the TOC field exactly as you want it. Define it as an autotext
entry. Re-insert as needed (cludgy solution)

Might be an improvement -- thanks.

Note that you can set the Outline level for your own styles, so you don't
need to do anything special to include them in the TOC.

Yes -- one revelation for me is that TOC is so related to Outline
functionality. That was NOT obvious at the outset!

Graham