Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default plain text in text box does not print - Word 2003

Technically, that's correct. But Word is possibly the world's worst Web page
creator, and I find Reading Layout just annoying. :-) So both of those views
are off my radar unless absolutely necessary.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Lene Fredborg wrote:
A comment:
It seems to me that text boxes are only invisible in Normal and
Outline view whereas they are actually visible in the following 3
views (Word 2003): Print Layout, Web Layout and Reading Layout.

A text box is in the Drawing layer, like floating graphics. That has
several consequences:

- Text boxes never appear in any view except print layout. Period.
- If the "Drawing objects" option is unchecked in Tools Options
Print, text boxes won't print either. They also won't appear in
Print Preview. I think that's your problem, and checking the option
should fix it. - Text in a text box is never picked up by an
automatic table of contents (TOC field).

You're better off converting the text box to a frame, which is in
the text layer and doesn't have all these foibles. In the Format
Text Box dialog, on the Text Box tab, click the Convert to Frame
button. Since you have just plain (or 'pain') text, you can ignore
the ugly message about losing formatting, and click OK.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

mdbg wrote:
I am having a problem printing the text that I have put into a text
box.
This is just pain text, nothing fancy. Only in the print layout
view does the text box and text appear. If I switch to any other
view or print the document, the text does not appear. I have tried
changing the layout options and have selected "no fill" for fill
color. I am an experienced Word user and I just cannot figure out
what I can be doing wrong. Does anyone know the solution to this
problem??