Posted to microsoft.public.officeupdate,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Reading Office 2007 format in Office 2003

Could your problem be the issue at
http://www.gmayor.com/Problems_opening_2007_docs.htm ?
A document created from a Word 2007 template - even if saved in
compatibility mode - will display this issue.

There is no essential difference in file format between Word 2000 and Word
2003. Word 2003 will open the documents created by earlier versions, however
see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849/en-us

John wrote:
Peter Foldes wrote:
And there you go. Did you read what I posted earlier

Yes, I did. And I see that I was incorrect in stating the document
files were the Office 2007 version. I *thought* that all versions of
Word were backward compatible with documents created by earlier
versions. And since these documents wouldn't open, I assumed they
were created by a *newer* version.

These documents were created by Word v9.0. Word in Office 2003 is
v11.8307.8221 SP3. Are you're telling me that Word v11 is by design
incapable of opening documents created by Word v9?

John