Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

Default Page number restart

I am using Word 2002 with Window Millennium Edition.
I've read the FAQ files on Page Numbering and Section Breaks, but still need
help, please.
Within my document, there is a title page, a Table of Contents, and the body
of the document. I have the page numbers as a footer, TOC in lowercase Roman
numerals, body in Arabic numerals. I was successful in getting the page
numbers of the body text to start at 1, but cannot make the TOC page numbers
start at i (page 1 in lowercase Roman numerals) - no matter what I try, it
starts at ii (because it is counting pages starting with the title page).
The FAQ files talk about inserting different kinds of Section Breaks, but on
my Insert menu there is only "Section Break" with no choices as to what kind
to insert. I did an InsertSection Break at the beginning of the TOC, and it
came out to "Section Break Continuous". (Of note: when I did the same thing
on a different document, it came out to "Next Page Section Break". I even
tried copying and pasting the 'hidden code' from that document where it
worked into the document where it doesn't, but that did not work either.) I
have repeatedly checked the "Restart at i" box, but it stays at "ii" instead.
I have a "Different first page" footer (no page numbers) on the title page.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.