Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Table of Figures - caption numbering problems

Make sure to set up numbering correctly; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

Also, make sure that there are no blank paragraphs where a heading style is
applied but the numbering has been suppressed, as this can cause issues with
the caption numbering.

To show/hide the paragraph mark (¶) as well as other nonprinting marks,
press Ctrl+Shift+8.

If you find any blank paragraphs, apply the Normal style to them (you can do
this by pressing Ctrl+Shift+N). The best approach, however, is to delete
them and use Spacing After or Spacing Before with text paragraphs instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lwalker975" wrote in message
I am having trouble using captions to create a Table of Figures. I'm
trying
to use the option of labeling the captions with the heading numbers, then
have the Table of Figures create itself, like the Table of Contents. (I
have
been given the task of formatting a document that was created by compiling
the work of many people - everyone has a "Table 1" and "Figure 1" in their
section, and I need to pull it together)

I have gone through the document and used the headings styles for the
chapters and formatted the bullets for each outline level. I then insert
the
caption, selecting the 'include chapter heading" option.

The first table is in Third chapter, but it shows up in the caption box as
"Table 1-1". I get an error message of message "There is no chapter number
include in the caption.to apply chapter numbers use the Bullets and
Numbering
on the format menu to select a multilevel list style that is linked to the
Heading styles". (I thought that was taken care of when I used the
heading
styles for the chapters and the outline form for the bullets and
numbers.).
I hit OK anyway. The caption appears in the document as "Table 0-1". I
type
over the 0 to make it a 3. I go to the next table, and have the same
problem,
and in addition, that first table caption I just fixed changes from "Table
3-1" to "Table 3-0-1". Can anyone help with this??? It's driving me
crazy!
Example below:

1.0 "Option A"
1.1 "Step 1"