Joseph McGuire

Default Outline Numbering

I read Ms. Kelly's fine article on the perils of Outline Numbering. I have
never run into many problems, but then again, I have used Outline numbering
only for simple rough outlines for other things, nothing too involved. But
I am having the most annoying problem. In Word 2000 I can set up OL
numbering in the desired format. When I press Enter I go to the next
numbered level corresponding with the level I just completed. To indent
further and go to a lower heading/numbering level I press tab and bingo,
what might have been IV is now, say, A, B. C etc. (I am reluctant to go
through her recommended procedure for OL numbering since I already use
Heading styles for ordinary, well, headings--free of any numbering, and I'd
sort of like to keep it that way). Same thing with Word 2003.

Here is the problem: In Word 2002, the tab works differently. When I press
tab at the next level I get an indent alright, but no change in the
numbering! I can't see any difference in the OL numbering settings between
Word 2000 and 2002 Is it me? Am I missing something? Or is it the revenge
of that demon Outline Numbering?

--

Joe McGuire