Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Default Header with picture or text box

In Word-speak a custom something just means something that you've created
for yourself, not built-in.

First, separate out the elements. Those elements a
header/document body
textbox/picture

Work first with the text box by itself in the the document, not the header.
Then work with the picture, by itself, in the document, not the header. In
each case, what you are wanting is for text to wrap around the element. Once
you can do it with each of these alone in a document body, try doing it with
both together, in the body. Once you can do this, select them together and
paste them into your header.

My current letterhead has one graphic and two text boxes so I know this can
be done. Have you looked at the tutorials yet.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Scott" wrote in message
Thanks for the help. Sorry for posting in two forums initially. I'll try
and summarize what's happening more clearly. Essentially what I have in my
header is text to the left (that i modify in different documents), then a
company logo (fixed towards right), and a text box (extending down the
right
side anchored to header) on extreme right. When I type in the header my
text
runs beneath these objects. It appears that when I insert a pic or text
box,
it gets anchored to the header and shows up on every page. However, when
type in the header area, the text goes beneath the pics and is not visible
despite setting text wrapping. However, when I delete the text in the
header, the header length decreases but the pics remain the same size
although now half outside the header. When I type in the regular
document,
the text wrapping works fine. Is there anyway to lock a pic into the
header
with text wrapping, ie so that you couldn't decrease the overall size of
the
header without deleting the pic? The only way I can get around this is to
insert the pic and text box, and then type the text needed, and use
"paragraph settings" to reset the margins to exclude the pic and text box
areas. I'm using word 2002 XP - i note that Word 2003 seems to reference
"custom header" function for this problem, but I don't think I have that.
Thank you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Don't use a text box for your text (or your picture). Insert the text
first.
Then insert the picture (which will be anchored to the text paragraph you
just created), and set the wrapping to Square or Tight. Using the
Layout controls, set the picture position as Right Relative to Margin.

If you just want text on the left and a picture on the right (you're not
actually wrapping the text *around* the picture), you can put them in a
borderless two-cell table, but be aware that there will be an empty text
paragraph below the table. You can format it as 1 point or Hidden, but
that
can sometimes cause problems when you go back to edit the header and
forget
that the paragraph is there.

so
all may benefit.

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture (even

tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the

header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this in
header? Any suggestions?