Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default How do I put a word at the end of a mail merge field?

You need to use an If...then...Else field construction in Word, something
like

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Age } "" "{ MERGEFIELD Age } yrs" "" }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of the field delimiters { } and you
use Alt+F9 to toggle off their display.

You can of course do a similar thing in the Excel data source by creating
another field that uses the formula

= IF( cellcontainingage "", = cellcontainingage & " yrs", "")

Note that in Excel there is a comma separating each part of the
If...then...Else construction wherease in Word, just a space is used.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"kandy1216" wrote in message
I have a word document that I want to use with excel in a mail merge.

In one of the columns, I want to have the word years after the number data
is put in the table, ie. 6 yrs. How do I set up the mail merge excel
document so that yrs. will print after each number? Someone thought I
should
use a comma after the mail merge field but then the comma showed up with
the
word years. If I put yrs. in each row after the field, then yrs. shows up
when there is no record in that particular row.

Hope you can understand what I am trying to say! Thanks for any help.