Dang! I knew that wasn't the article I was looking for! Let me try again.
See "Section break causes an unexpected page break in Word" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292074. If even that doesn't help, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...panColumns.htm

"*(((({" wrote in message
I read the article -- it says I have to convert the footnotes to
endnotes to make the continuous break stop working like a page break.
But I must have footnotes! Converting them to endnotes is hardly a
solution.

Plan B?

*(((({

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=214203