Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lisa@Pru Lisa@Pru is offline

Default 2007 Word Mail Merge

Thanks Peter. I've tried saving the data in Excel as a .TXT file, but I
can't get the merge document to recognize the file.

I've tried saving the Excel file as a .CSV file, but when I merged it,
everything was blank.

If using a .txt file, in the Confirm Data Source box, do I select something
that shows an extension of .txt? I don't see such an entry so I'm chopsing
the wide open one (*.*).

Thoughts?
"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Despite the fact that Excel 2007 allows more than 255 columns, you still
cannot get more than 255 columns from Excel when it is used as a Mail
Merge data source (unless something has changed in Office 2007 SP2).

If you have fairly simple data that is not multiline, your best bet is
probably to copy/paste the data into Word (as soon as you have more
columns than Word can support, Word should paste the data in a
tab-delimited format), save that, and use it as a data source.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Lisa@Pru wrote:
Is there a limit to how many fields you can have in a mail merge in Word
2007? Excel 2007 now has more than 255 columns, which I need for this
project.

I anticipate having over 500 fields - is this even possible? I knew it
wasn't in the 2003 version due to Excel's column limits. I was hoping that
this would change with 2007.

Thanks!