Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Long Doc Formatting Assistance

Hi Pete,
[see below]

On 11/8/06 9:14 AM, "WilliamWMeyer" wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings friends,

I am helping the editor of a (very low budget) journal to format books.
These are fairly complex and long documents (although, in the scheme of
things, probably not too complicated).

I hate to throw another imponderable into your mix, but you should also
consider that Word may very well not be the tool of choice here.

What you're describing is producing a "book," and something closer to a true
Desktop Publishing application, like Quark, InDesign, or the program I use
most, Ventura, might be easier to manage in the long run than Word is for
such a purpose.

Of course, such programs are expensive and would have a learning curve.

William makes a very good point. I'm not sure what you mean by "journal",
but such programs are *substantially* discounted for academic uses, although
that may forbid commercial use. But academic books don't make a profit, so
not sure how that applies. May be worth checking into.

You are already facing a bit of a learning curve with Word, so a new program
might not be that much more time-consuming, especially since you seem to
expect to repeat this process many times. I would expect all these programs
to have a 30-day downloadable trial.

On the other hand, if you expect to hand this process off to someone else in
a few years, easier to get someone to agree to be Word-savvy than a page
layout program.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/