Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eginmd eginmd is offline

Default saving in .mcw format in Word 2007

Word for Macintosh, not MacWrite used the .mcw extension.

I found your post searching for a way to open (not save) these files with
Word 2007. I upgraded to Word 2007 from Word 2000 a few months ago. It never
crossed my mind that I would not be able to open my old .mcw files since Word
2000 was able to open them with formatting intact. Now I get a bunch of
symbols along with the text.

Is there any way to open the files intact before re-saving them into a more
recent format?

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Apparently MacWrite hasn't been produced since 1994. Surely you should have
been able to find enough time in the past 18 years to convert them to a
newer format. If not, you may have to find someone with Word XP and ask them
to do it for you.

Did you try opening them in Word after telling it to recover the text from
any file? You'll lose the format but you may be able to save the text. I say
may because I have never tried to open one of those files.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"NEOEAXD" wrote in message
Word 2002 was able to save documents in a Macintosh format using an .mcw
extension. I don't find that capability in Word 2007, and the online
"help"
doesn't offer much about file converters.