Charles Kenyon

What you need is the CreateDate field in a template. When you use that
template to create a new document, the field will automatically update. It
will then remain stable in the new document. See
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm for information on the different
kinds of datefields and how to format them.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"SDecou" wrote in message
I have noticed that in Word 2003 when you open a document that contains an
Insert/Date and Time (with update automatically selected) the field does
not
update on open of the document. In Word 97 this was not the case. Is
Word
2003 supposed to work this way? I can only get the field to update on
Print
or selecting the field and hitting F9.

Will your suggestion below (inserting a { CREATEDATE }) work for me?

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Add a { CREATEDATE } field to the template.

"steevesinjapan" wrote:

how do you make your template always enter in the current date
automaticallt
every time you open it to make a new document