Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Default Asian fonts and menus added to Word

Start All Programs Microsoft Office Microsoft Office Tools Language
Settings

Remove Japanese (and any other Asian languages)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Natalie" wrote in message
The other day, while helping a friend with a work assignment on my PC, I

cut
and pasted some text from a PowerPoint file into Word as a

"thought-holder".
The PowerPoint document had originally been created in Japan and emailed

him.

The next day when I opened Word (2003), my menus and dialog boxes were
changed. For example, in my Format menu, I now have a submenu titled,

Asian
Layout. My Font dialog box includes Latin text fonts and Asian text fonts.
The Tools Language menu option includes Japanese translation and

consistency
checker and the Options dialog box now has two new tabs: Asian Typogrophy

and
Japanese Find.

The other thing that has changed is the inclusion of "typesetting marks"

in
the uper and lower corners of my screen. These marks appear to identify

the
page margins and move if I change the margins.

While it doesn't appear that my functionality is affected, I would still
like to have my system restored to the "non-Asian" dialog boxes and menus.

At
the very least, I would like to remove these dratted margin marks.

Can anyone suggest something other than a reload of Word? I even tried
deleting the Normal.dot file hoping the changes would be lost that way,

but
it did not work.

In the Edit tab of the Options dialog box I have IME TrueInline checked,

but
the field is disabled - I can not uncheck the field or click the IME

Settings
command option.

FYI: My friend's company still uses Microsoft Office 2000. It doesn't

appear
that files sent from Japan affect the "American" PCs the same way as 2003.

Thank you for your help.