Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Running up against the limit in Excel 2003

Yes. In fact it must be done with VBA.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AndyC812" wrote in message
Docvariable fields! That sounds promising. I'll read up on those. Could
use VBA to also drive the report generation in Word? I would like to be
able
to push a button in the Excel file and have a "merged" report pop up in
Word
based on the field data in the spreadsheet.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

In that case, you could have the "field names" in one column and the data
for each "field" in the cells of the adjacted column and then you would
not
be limited by the number of columns available.

Of course, you would then have to use something other than mailmerge to
create the report and the way that I would do it would be to use
Docvariable
fields in the document in place of merge fields and use VBA to iterate
through the rows of the spreadsheet, creating variables in the document
with
the name of the variables being the "field names" from the first column
and
the values of the variables being set to the data from the corresponding
cells in the second column.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AndyC812" wrote in message
Just one report. Each spreadsheet generates one LONG reord of data
based
on
user input to the other worksheets.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Are you preparing multiple reports from the data or is it just one
report?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AndyC812" wrote in message
My application has multiple tabs and generates a 7-9 page report in
Word
using 250 merge fields. Not all the fields are used in all the
reports,
but
I'm running out of room. Others have suggested CSV also, but can I
automate
it as well (generate the CSV from Excel and "Send it" to the proper
merge
template and do a "Merge to New Document" and perhaps even rename
the
resulting file.

Thanks!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I find it hard to imagine a mail merge that needs that many fields.
However, if you do need to exceed the 255 column limit of Excel,
you
can
use
a .csv file as the data source.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"AndyC812" wrote in message
I have created an application in Excel that collects data for
eventual
merging into a Word mail merge document. It is so large that I
am
running
out of columns in Excel for new merge fields (I am using 250 of
possible
255). My question - is there a better way to get my data fields
from
Excel
into Word (CSV file, XML?) ? Can this be automated?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Andy