Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to change resolution of pictures in Word 2007

Hi Alby,

The compression setting doesn't reflect what the original resolution of the pictures are, only what you can choose to (in some
cases) reduce them to to make the document smaller when saved to disk or emailed. The pixel per inch (ppi) settings for a graphic
also don't necessarily correlate to the printers dot per inch (dpi) or quality results.

You can't use the tools to increase a PPI value. Some formats allow you to store a PPI marker in the graphic to use for sizing and
content, others do not. For example .GIF files are 96PPI, while JPGs can be set when they're created.

Word 2000, 2002/XP and 2003 used the information in the graphic to control the display size in the document from the 'Web options'
settings. Word 2007 no longer does, for the most part it seems to assumes 96PPI when no other value is available in inserted JPGs
and the Web Options setting doesn't impact its display size.

"alby" wrote in message ...
From Picture Tools-Format-Adjust-Compress pictures, I can't alter the
default resolution (200 dpi). I want all pictures in the document to be 600 dpi. Any ideas?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP