Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
colblip colblip is offline

Default Merging pictures

Doug, macropod,

I need to drop back the better part of the field and start over. I'm getting
a bit overwhelmed. Further, I'll keep it in one group and continue one
thread rather than two.

Currently I run a mail merge out of Outlook with names, addresses etc. Let's
say this produces 5 records,

Joe & Mary
Harry & Sue
John & Jill
Sam & Linda
Gary and Gertrude

I have 3 photos for these five families

Joe & Mary.jpg
John & Jill.jpg
Gary and Gertrude.jpg
and I have a picture - NoPictureAvailable.jpg.

As my mail merge document now exists I produce a page with each record
having a photo of the family with their name, address, etc listed under the
photo. All of the photos are in a folder - O:\Pictures\2009 Original Church
Pictures.

My photo area of the merge has the code: {INCLUDEPICTURE "O:\\Pictures\\2009
Original Church Pictures\\{ Mergefield "Full_Name"}.JPG" } in it.

I run the merge, I do a cntl-A and F9 and all of the pictures load
appropriately. The problem is - for the "Harry & Sue" and "Sam & Linda"
merged records there is no corresponding photos. My desire is to load a
dummy picture, NoPhotoAvailable, for these two records. The BF&A approach
would be to copy/rename the NoPhotoAvailable.jpg to "Harry & Sue.jpg" and
"Sam & Linda.jpg" and everything would work fine. However, I was hoping to
make the code such that loading "NoPhotoAvailable.jpg" could be made to
occur if there was no family picture in my picture folder.

Just for completeness I do know I have to use cntrl-F9 for the braces and
I've constructed all of the code using Insert|Field... for any of the
operators.

I do wish there was a simple way to print out my code in text so it could be
copied and pasted in documents like this a text rather than having to type
it all in. :-(

I hope this helps better explain what I am trying to do. Thanks for your
help AND patience on all of this.

"colblip" colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com wrote in message
Hello, All!
I have a directory I print for the church. In it I have insert a picture
of the family with the code {INCLUDEPICTURE "O:\\Pictures\\2009 Original
Church Pictures\\{ Mergefield "Full_Name"}.JPG" }. I would like to insert
a standard NoPictureAvailable.jpg file if there is no picture for the
family in question. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Colonel Blip
E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com