Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JeanD JeanD is offline

Default Merging pictures

On Aug 8, 6:28*pm, "colblip" colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com wrote:
"If, as I am now beginning to suspect, you don't have a field in your data
for the image names and you're simply relying on a field
that contains the peoples' names (ie 'Full_Name'), then a field-based
solution isn't possible with Word 2007. For previous versions
you could use:"

* * * * You are correct about my field data; however I am using Word 2003.
Therefore I tried the code you posted but it still doesn't work.
* * * * I think it is time for me to just give up on automating this. Thanks
for all of your efforts to help.

Doug, macropod,

I need to drop back the better part of the field and start over. I'm
getting a bit overwhelmed. Further, I'll keep it in one group and
continue one thread rather than two.

Currently I run a mail merge out of Outlook with names, addresses
etc. Let's say this produces 5 records,

Joe & Mary
Harry & Sue
John & Jill
Sam & Linda
Gary and Gertrude

I have 3 photos for these five families

Joe & Mary.jpg
John & Jill.jpg
Gary and Gertrude.jpg
and I have a picture - NoPictureAvailable.jpg.

As my mail merge document now exists I produce a page with each
record having a photo of the family with their name, address, etc listed
under the photo. All of the photos are in a folder -
O:\Pictures\2009 Original Church Pictures.

My photo area of the merge has the code: {INCLUDEPICTURE
"O:\\Pictures\\2009 Original Church Pictures\\{ Mergefield
"Full_Name"}.JPG" } in it.

I run the merge, I do a cntl-A and F9 and all of the pictures load
appropriately. The problem is - for the "Harry & Sue" and "Sam &
Linda" merged records there is no corresponding photos. My desire is
to load a dummy picture, NoPhotoAvailable, for these two records.
The BF&A approach would be to copy/rename the NoPhotoAvailable.jpg to
"Harry & Sue.jpg" and "Sam & Linda.jpg" and everything would work
fine. However, I was hoping to make the code such that loading
"NoPhotoAvailable.jpg" could be made to occur if there was no family
picture in my picture folder.

Just for completeness I do know I have to use cntrl-F9 for the
braces and I've constructed all of the code using Insert|Field... for
any
of the operators.

I do wish there was a simple way to print out my code in text so it
could be copied and pasted in documents like this a text rather than
having to type it all in. :-(

I hope this helps better explain what I am trying to do. Thanks for
your help AND patience on all of this.

"colblip" colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com wrote in message
Hello, All!
I have a directory I print for the church. In it I have insert a
picture of the family with the code {INCLUDEPICTURE
"O:\\Pictures\\2009 Original Church Pictures\\{ Mergefield
"Full_Name"}.JPG" }. I would like to insert a standard
NoPictureAvailable.jpg file if there is no picture for the family
in question. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Colonel Blip
E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

With best regards, colblip. *E-mail: colonel.blip.at.bigfoot.com

Hello, macropod!
You wrote *on Sun, 9 Aug 2009 01:11:33 +1000:

*m If, as I am now beginning to suspect, you don't have a field in your
*m data for the image names and you're simply relying on a field that
*m contains the peoples' names (ie 'Full_Name'), then a field-based
*m solution isn't possible with Word 2007. For previous versions you
*could m use: {IF{INCLUDEPICTURE {IF TRUE "O:\\Pictures\\2009 Original
*Church m Pictures\\{MERGEFIELD Full_Name}"}}= "" "" {INCLUDEPICTURE
*{IF TRUE m "O:\\Pictures\\2009 Original Church Pictures\\{MERGEFIELD
Full_Name}"}}}

*m --
*m Cheers
*m macropod
*m [Microsoft MVP - Word]- Hide quoted text -

Ouch, ouch, ouch! Shameless plug, but this thread is screaming out for
a painless solution: just use a commercial Word addin called OnMerge
(www.onmerge.com) which automates inserting pictures into mail merges,
AND it can automatically substitute in a designated default image if
any of the pictures referenced by the merge fields is unavailable (or
if the file name is blank). It works with a GUI, so no manual field
coding in the first place.