Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Klaus,

In my book, it's a bug that wasn't caught in time and now we are stuck with it.
Who in his/her right mind would design it that way?

Actually, it WAS designed this way - I had a long discussion with the MS people
during Word 2002 Beta 1 on the hierarchy of the new styles. I'm not saying I
agree with it, necessarily, but consider this scenario:

A Table Style doesn't let you link different parts to specific paragraph styles.
So, say you want to use formatting in certain parts of the table that's not
supported by the Table Style concept. You can apply any paragraph style to the
table to override the Table Style.

Surely, we'd be getting complaints if paragraph styles were NOT able to override
Table Styles. The real mistake in design, from my POV, is not being able to
assign paragraph styles to parts of a table. But heh, all anyone was ever asking
for before this was "personalized Table AutoFormat". Really. And that's exactly
what we got! Only, now that we have it, we're not satisfied...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)