Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default double spacing between words on Word2002

I'm sure there must be Usenet NGs for editors somewhere, but not on this
server (msnews.microsoft.com), which is the only one I currently bother
with.

wrote in message ...
Thanks for the agreement Suzanne! In my experience most publishers do
not want double spaces anywhere (except between lines). It used to be
done after full stops and certain other punctuation when using
non-proportional fonts like courier, but now that nearly everyone uses
justification process that publishers use. Therefore, I am always
expected to strip out such spaces. Incidentally, I find the search and
replace function in Word 2000 does not always do this faultlessly, and I
often have to manually tidy up. BTW, Suzanne, is there an editors'
newsgroup?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I'll second everything said. As an editor I have never
seen a requirement for double spacing between words. It might be that

some
publishers would require two spaces after a period or colon (that's a

whole
nother ball of wax), but I strongly suspect that double-spaced lines are
what is required.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message

katnco wrote:

I'm an aspiring writer who has just discovered (after writing a

first
book of
200+ pages) that the words need to be double-spaced for the
editors/publishers!!! Is it possible to select the whole doc. and

change
the
settings or am I doomed to sit for hours clicking and stabbing at

the
space
bar? Thanx

Mate! You almost certainly do NOT want to double space words; you

must
double space LINES! Working as a professional editor I always need
double spaced (or even 1.5) lines but NEVER words! In Word 2000 I

would
use edit | select all, then format | paragraph | line spacing (drop

down
box) choose double | OK. Some better word experts will probably have
better ideas (I'm a relative newbie to Word).

With respect, discovering so late in the process that you needed

double
line spaces suggests you may have neglected some other essential
homework before embarking on your journey of creation. I suggest you
buy/borrow at least one text on how to get published, and by the way

do
prepare to be disappointed. There are thousands of unsolicited
manuscripts a week that never make it - on the other hand don't let me
put you off: some do!