Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Can't find normal.dot in Word 2003

You will find it easier to locate if you set Windows Explorer to display
hidden files.
If you type or copy
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates
into the address bar of Windows Explorer or your browser you will be taken
to the default template folder location.

NonTechie wrote:
I recently installed Windows 7 and had to reinstall Office 2003. I
want to modify normal.dot. Accordint to the help menu it is in
C:\Documents and Settings\user name/Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates. When i tey to open that file, there is no
Documents and Settings folder uncer C:, and when I find my user name
(in two places) there is no Application Data folder.

I tried the search in Windows 7 by typing in nomal.dot and it did not
appear. I was able to find it when I had Windows XP and could
designate that it look in hidden files. But I can't find how to do
even that in Windows 7.

How can I find and open normal.dot to modify it?