sjc.36 sjc.36 is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonTechie View Post
I recently installed Windows 7 and had to reinstall Office 2003. I want to
modify normal.dot. Accordint to the help menu it is in C:\Documents and
Settings\user name/Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. When i tey to open
that file, there is no Documents and Settings folder uncer C:, and when I
find my user name (in two places) there is no Application Data folder.

I tried the search in Windows 7 by typing in nomal.dot and it did not
appear. I was able to find it when I had Windows XP and could designate that
it look in hidden files. But I can't find how to do even that in Windows 7.

How can I find and open normal.dot to modify it?

The help message is incorrect, the path should be something like this:-
"c:\users\[username]\app data\roaming\microsoft\template.
Like you I had the same problem and this solved. Once you have proved the template is there, open word, tools, options, file locations and set template to the above location directory. Close word and it will ask for you to save the normal.dot template, click yes and that should solve your problem.