Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
frustrated frustrated is offline

Default The Ultimate Q: How do you flip rows and columns for headers?

I LOVE YOU GUYS.

Although BOTH answers were great, neither were the venues I went for...
instead, the keyword used "transpose" allowed me to search and figure out a
better way.

For future reference, use this:
1. after you get a data work sheet that has fields on the first column and
"answers" on the second column...
2. copy and paste both columns into a separate "Sheet" ie..."Sheet 2"
3. PASTE SPECIAL and just check the box that says "transpose" and it will
conver it from column to rows...

That's all I need in order to get my work done now... THANKS GUYS YOU ARE
THE BEST!

ADK
--
"I should have paid attention in computer class..."

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

In Excel, select the data, then copy it to the clipboard and then use
EditPaste Special and check the Transpose box.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"FRUSTRATED" wrote in message
This is based on Word & Excel 2003 on XP,

THE OBVIOUS:
When someone uses Excel2003 to create a database for Word2003: Mail Merge
the FIRST row is where all the headers go: Last Name, First Name, SSN,
DOB,
etc, etc, etc ...and I understand that logically it all makes sense to
have
the data entered in "rows" in order for Mail Merge to identify the data
with
the "header row"

THE QUESTION:
I need to accomplish the OPPOSITE of that. Need the Mail Merger to
recognize the
"first column" to be the "header column"(ie. A1 to A100) and the second
column (B1 to B100) to be where the data will be entered...

THE REASON:
I recieve all my data in excel, in columns (that's the paramaters I MUST
deal with). Would love to link the second column to word - mail merger to
auto fill for me 30+ documents for signing... per person who sends the
excel
sheets!
Rather than sit there all day and manually re-type everything into
columns,
need to figure out how to "reverse engineer" this to work for my
situation...

HELP! - so far all my searching has come up empty!

ADK

--
"I should have paid attention in computer class..."