Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Leslie Isaacs Leslie Isaacs is offline

Default Trying to edit data source

Hello All

I'm confused!

I have a Word2003 document that uses an Access2000 data source for a merge.
It all works OK, in that data updated in the data source comes through in
the document.
But I would like to be able to edit the access query that is being used as
the data source (by bringing in another linked table so that more fields are
available to the document).
I cannot open the data source, however.
I had thought it would simply be a query in the normal (frontend) mdb that
is used, but when I click on 'Open data Source' from the Word document I am
directed to the My Data Sources folder in My Documents, where there is a
file called "telnumbers_be staff.odc", which I presume is somehow being used
as the data source. When I try to open this I am asked to confirm the data
source and the only option available in the 'Open data source' box is 'OLE
DB Database Files', but when I click OK nothing happens.

2 questions:
1. How do I open "telnumbers_be staff.odc"?
2. The actual backend mdb that is used is "telnumbers_be.mdb", which is
where the document's data comes from: but this is in a different location to
"telnumbers_be staff.odc", and is obviously a seperate file, so how come the
document is looking at "telnumbers_be staff.odc"?

Hope someone can help: I'm a bit out of my depth!
Many thanks
Leslie Isaacs