Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Default line numbers

Ask no quarter, give none.

For a picture of the impossible see:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Daniels'_Folly.png

For the document pictured see:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Mr_Daniels'_Arrogant_Folly.zip

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
As usual, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

The existence of a "SectionDirection" command within PageSetup
prompted me to look more closely for the option.

In order to make a section read right-to-left, go to Page Setup
Layout second dropdown at the top.

No macro needed.

However, though line numbers are checked, they do not display. (In
fact, they blinked off when I Ok'd the Page Setup Layout change,
though the Line Numbers box was still checked.) So it appears _still_
to be impossible to get line numbers in the right margin with
right-to- left text.

On Nov 1, 7:55 pm, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:
Yes.

If you have an appropriate language enabled (e.g., Arabic (Iraq))
then you can use a macro to set specific section direction. For
example the following macro will display line numbers in the right
margin in secton 1.

Sub ScratchMaco()
ActiveDocument.Sections(1).PageSetup.SectionDirect ion =
wdSectionDirectionRtl
End Sub

Note: If you do not have an appropriate language enabled (I defer to
Mr. Daniels' expertise on what other languages may or may not be
appropriate) or subsequently disable the language then this setting
will suppress the display of line numbering. To restore them you
would need to set the direction back to left to right using:

Sub ScratchMaco()
ActiveDocument.Sections(1).PageSetup.SectionDirect ion =
wdSectionDirectionLtr
End Sub

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
I'm typing a page of Arabic. Is there any way to get the line
numbers to appear in the right margin (i.e., at the beginnings of
the lines)? Setting "mirror margins" doesn't do it.

--
Greg Maxey

See my web sitehttp://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.