Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JohnR JohnR is offline

Default Word document

I'd call it good business practice. They let you read the document, didn't
they. You might be able to cut and paste to get it back to word 97 -2003
(close maybe anyway). If you want to work with the new program, BUY IT !

"Three Lefts" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:19:30 +0300, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

While you may be able to open Word docx format with the addition of the
compatibility pack
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx you still
don't have Word 2007 and so some 2007 specific features will not work. Ask
the originator to send you the document in Word 97-2003 format.

In my opinion, it is utter arrogance, not to mention stupidity, on the
part of Microsoft not to provide a free conversion utility that will
do exactly what Word 2007 does when I Save As Word 97-2003.

They made a huge and incompatible change to a program used by almost
everyone. This company is out of control.