Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Slow startup

Ed

There's as much chance of the photo infecting you with a virus when you view
it in Internet Explorer (or whatever) as it is when you copy it into Word.
If you download the picture, then the AV will scan it anyway. As Suzanne has
stated, we have repeatedly asked Norton (Symantec) to explain what the
plug-in does in Office and they couldn't : they just didn't know.

Millions of us are happily working without an Office AV plug-in: just don't
worry about it.

Terry

"Ed" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But, if it doesn't compromise security to turn it off, why is it there
in the first place?

That's what we've been asking ever since NAV first incorporated the
Office Plug-in. Even Symantec doesn't know.

Suppose I'm in Word and find a photo or something on the Web I'd like to
incorporate in my document. If the Office security plug-in
is not activated, am I not subject to a virus in that photo? Seems like
there's gotta be a reason for it, as the AV companies
have enough to do already.

Just curious.

Ed

Ed