Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank H[_2_] Frank H[_2_] is offline

Default Turn off Automatic numbering

bretsharon,
You really do need to mention what version you are using: can't really help
otherwise. I'll assume Word 2003. Using Word's actual feature names
accurately is also helpful if you want people to understand your question.

It is frustrating when the way you think it should work is not the way it
actually does work.

Word will not convert from automatic numbering to text.
You CAN turn off all automatic formatting: Tools-AutoCorrect Options. Just
uncheck everything you don't want.

If you can set up your Styles, Word really works slick, and will do your
numbering for you. Most people don't have the patience (or time) to get the
styles set up the way they need them.

Have you ever tried using the Outline numbering feature? Format - Bullets
and Numbering - Outline numbering tab.

You can use this with Style or without.

I hope your time frame gives you the opportunity to get it re-worked!
--
Frank H
Rockford, IL

"bretsharon" wrote:

After having gotten document where I wanted it last night, I turned on the
machine today and all my article numbering is gone as well as the heading
under that. How do I tell word to convert all my heading from automatic to
text? I don't use more than 2 headings because word is insufficient and can't
handle that complexity. If Microhard were a small startup, they would not
ignore their customers forced to mess with the insufficient product. There
will be someone else who will fix this, but unfortunately they'll speak
Chinese.