Richard Stanford

Default Any way to link text with Figure or Table number?

Is there a way to 'link' text with an automatically-
generated Table or Figure number? I'd like to link the
text (similar to, but different from a cross-reference) to
a Table or Figure number so that if I insert or delete a
Figure or Table, the text is automatically changed to show
the new Figure or Table number. For instance, if the
original text said "See Figure 3" and I inserted a Figure
before that Figure, both the Figure number would be
changed to Figure 4, AND the text that refers to the
figure would be changed to "See Figure 4". I seem to
recall that Word does this some way, but I can't figure
out how to do it - and now I'm questioning my recollection.

Thanks,
Rick