Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default won't print address on envelopes

OK, I was able to replicate the problem, and probably could have done so
with my own data earlier. The problem only appears when you actually print
(as you say) - merge preview and print preview show all the text.

However, the problems only occur when I use an ADDRESSBLOCK field (which has
other problems which have nothing to do with right-to-left/left-to-right
script issues). In fact, it only occurs when I use an ADDRESSBLOCK field
inside the "Frame" where you are supposed to insert your address.

You might find it useful to click the show/hide button on the Home panel of
the ribbon when looking at what is going on - this displays paragraph marks
etc., and click Alt-F9 to show the field codes

Word frames are the "old" way of locating text at a particular position on
the page. There is another way of doing that, which is to insert a "text
box" (see the Insert panel on the ribbon) and format it so that it does not
have a surround. You would need to delete the frame as well. Frames are
probably used because the field codes used in Mailmerge do not always work
correctly in frames (i.e. some field codes do not work at all). In this
case, the situation is reversed - you can get some idea as to what Word is
doing wrong if you format the frame with a border and print that.

As far as I can see, the problem is related to having left-to-right (RTL)
/paragraphs/ in the frame. Because ADDRESSBLOCK always seems to use LTR
paragraphs when there is even a single word in "Latin" text in the address
(except for the digits, which are handled differently) , mixed text
addresses print OK.

If the ADDRESSBLOCK field does everything you want, that's probably all you
need to do, and you can probably safely ignore the rest of this essage.

However, ADDRESSBLOCK does have other problems, and if you encounter them,
you would need to insert individual field codes (i.e. one for the first
name, one for the last name, etc.). These should work within the original
frame, although you may need to format the text with the left-to-right
format button so that they are actually LTR paragraphs (with the paragraph
marks at the right hand end). As far as I can see, in simple cases they get
the left-right/right-left text direction correct, although you might want to
check that, especially if you end up using more complex field constructs. .
For more info, see the section on Graham Mayor's page at
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm titled "Insert the
fields"

There may be other ways to solve this - the trouble is that dealing with
both RTL and LTR text introduces so many additional issues that it is
difficult to be sure what actually works and what does not. For example,
whether or not ADDRESSBLOCK excludes the country name that you specify in
the addressblock dialog seems actually to depend on the language number that
Word inserts rather than the country name. What's more, if I actually insert
"Israel" in Hebrew text instead of "Israel" in Latin text in the "country
name" part of the Addressblock field code, the Addressblock field gets
really screwed up when you select it and press F9 - the hebrew text is
re-inserted elsewhere in the field code, etc. etc.

Peter Jamieson

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Dr. Dave" wrote in message
Thanks for responding. I didn't see your reply until just now. I
finished the mail merge last week, so all the particulars aren't clear in
my mind right now but if I moved the Address box section on the envelope
(either to the right or to the left, I don't remember) only the first few
letters of each line of the Hebrew address printed! I wound up having to
enter the addresses manually and print each envelope separately. The
addresses did appear in the preview of the merge, the also printed in the
letters themselves. Besides being somewhat old and not having such a good
memory, I am close to being computer-illiterate, so I don't really
understand what you mean when you say, "using an Outlook contacts list as
the data source (selected from Word, not starting with the Outlook
Tools|Mail Merge function) with data input in Outlook using the Hebrew
keyboard layout." I used the Mail merge Wizard and clicked on Create A
New List.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Are you getting any Hebrew text through in any of your merges?

If not, what is your data source?

Do you see the Hebrew text in the Address when you
a. preview the merge
b. and/or use print preview
c. and/or output the envelopes to a new document?

(FWIW it works OK here using Word 2007 SP1, Vista SP1, both set up for UK
English, the default mailmerge envelope layout (which uses the Cambria
font for both address boxes here, and using an Outlook contacts list as
the data source (selected from Word, not starting with the Outlook
Tools|Mail Merge function) with data input in Outlook using the Hebrew
keyboard layout. Printing to an HP inkjet (but not the same model as
yours))

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Dr. Dave" wrote in message
There's both Hebrew and English in the return address and they both
print okay there! I may have to address them by hand!
Is the Hebrew font used in the letter as well and if so, does it print
OK?

I have to admit though, it is not something that I have ever had
anything to do with.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dr. Dave" wrote in message
Thanks for responding! My printer is HP DeskJet 3920 but it has a
color cartridge installed. I'm in Israel and some of the addresses
are in English and some are in Hebrew. I just realized that only the
Hebrew addresses don't print, the English ones print fine. What to
do?
Are you using an InkJet Printer that does not have the colour
cartridge installed? Some InkJet Printers create black for the
envelope address by mixing the coloured inks rather than by using the
black ink cartridge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dr. Dave" wrote in message
Using Vista and word 2007, I'm doing a mail merge. The letters
printed okay but now, the next day when I'm trying to print the
envelopes, only the return address prints but the address for the
letter doesn't print. What should I do?