Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Default mailmerge zip codes

Hi Jonathon,

Two deal with both zip formats, you'll need to add some tests to the
mergefields in word. There are two ways you could approach this:
1
.. copy the existing mergefield and make two copies of it, thus:
.. select the second field and press Ctrl-F9 to embed it in another field,
thus:
.. do the same with the third field, thus:
.. select all of these fields and press Ctrl-F9 again, to embed the lot in
another field, thus:
.. within these fields, input the text as indicated:
.. select all of these fields and press Ctrl-F9 again, to embed the lot in
another field, thus:
2.
.. copy the existing mergefield and make two copies of it, thus:
.. select all of these fields and press Ctrl-F9 again, to embed the lot in
another field, thus:
.. select the second field and press Shift-F9 to expose its coding, thus:
.. do the same with the third field, thus:
{ «ZipCode» { MERGEFIELD ZipCode} { MERGEFIELD ZipCode } }
.. within these fields, input the text as indicated:
{IF«ZipCode» 9999 { MERGEFIELD ZipCode \# "00000'-'00000"} { MERGEFIELD
ZipCode \# 00000} }

In both cases, you need to be careful to maintain the spacing indicated
above.

Cheers

"Jonathan" wrote in message
I am doing a mail merge from an Access database. My zip code field has the
normal five digits for a zip code but sometimes has the last four digits

as
well. However, I need a dash between these two when the last four digits

are
there. I have tried field codes and if then statements. Nothing seems to

work.

Thanks!