Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Default Field Linking Question

Hi Lex:

1. If the link is via an INCLUDETEXT field, and you're trying to edit it in the target document, then to save the changes back to
the source document you should select the field and press Ctrl-Shift-F7.

2. No. As an alternative, you could bookmark just a portion of the file and use the INCLUDETEXT field to pull in just the bookmarked
portion, and supplement this with a hyperlink that will open the full document. Or you use just a hyperlink on its own.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Lex S" Lex wrote in message ...
This is a 2 parter:

1) How do I link to a word/text file and ensure that if I edit the text in
the main word file that it saves to the linked file and I will not lose the
data. So far if I edit the linked text it doesnt seem to save to the linked
file and lose it upon reopening it.

2) Is it possible to have the link text inside a field with a scroll bar?
The link text can be many pages but the main document I want to only be a
page and the link text can be scrolled through when read in word and not
increase the length of the file (number of pages).

Using Word 2003. Thank you.